Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 33



Start mileage 99042
End mileage  99360
Daily total 318
Ride total 8385

Well today should be the last day of this once in a life time ride.

I was up early but didn't really get with the program very quick. I did daily duties, packed everything I took into the motel room last night. Then put it all in the trailer and bike. I was rip roaring and ready to get ice and breakfast. I did both. Gas station for Ice and Denny's for breakfast.

After all that, I got on the bike, headed to I70 East and continued the ride. Google Maps which has been very instrumental in my planning and execution of this ride said I had 314 miles to Dillsburg. I got email from a friend who wanted to know what time I would be home. I could only guess and said around noontime.

Off I went. Not wanting to have an inglorious finish to the ride I made sure I did the speed limit or as close as I could so as to not get a ticket on the final day of my Retirement Ride Across America. Had to travel through the rest of Ohio, West Virginia and half of Pennsylvania until I rested.

Actually the ride went well today with no issues. No rain or tornadoes. Thank you Lord! I got home around 12:45 pm and my neighbor was parked on my door step until I got there. She took several pictures of me arriving, getting off the bike and the Welcome Back sign on the garage door. I thought that was very sweet that she would do that for me. She will emailing me the pictures she took or I will assist in getting them from her camera to the blog site.

Come back for pictures.

Almost home.

Parking on the sidewalk.

Trying to get off the bike.

Home at last, Home at last!

Once home, picking up the family cat and giving him some attention, I proceeded to unload the bike and trailer. It was hot and I managed to change into sneakers from my riding boots. The sneakers were much cooler.

I made a mad dash to the state store in Carlisle to resupply the house with alcohol that seemed to disappear while I was away. I had to have a celebratory Beef Eaters Gin Martini as my brother-in law says should be Beef Eaters. Of course Grey Goose for the wife's martini.

When I arrived home after the alcohol run my wife's car was in the drive way. Upon going inside she said she had to come home early since she was unable to function knowing I was at home after 33 days on the road. We ate a meal and had our celebratory martini's. All is good in the world now.

I missed home and being here but would not have missed this Ride of a Life Time!
 I hope to go over the ride check list to advise on things I used and things I never used. Also some Wisdom from the Road thoughts to pass along to others who want to ride distance on their motorcycles.

Please do come back for more.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safe, was a privilege having you out here! Feel free to come back anytime, keep it shiney side up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations IRONMAN!!
    glad you made it home safely.
    i really enjoyed following everyday on your blog.
    enjoy the beefeaters and give sis a smack for me.

    jlk

    ReplyDelete