Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 31


Start mileage 97964
End mileage  98561
Daily total 597
Ride total 7586

I got up early this morning because I was concerned about the potential for bad weather today in the area. Turns out it was extremely overcast and I thought I had better get out of Dodge while I had the chance. I was thinking I might out run the storm front if I left now instead of doing several things before leaving. Pulled out at 6:30 am. Ran about 60 miles with the conditions staying about the same but I was hungry. Stopped at a little restaurant after passing all the gas stations and fast food places. Seems this is the locals favorite place to congregate on  a Saturday morning. I sat beside six old, older than me, Farmers who were discussing weather and crops. They didn't care if the weather was rough just as long as they got rain. Crops in the state are in if they have irrigation and some in even without irrigation and still for the time being look like they are healthy.

I wanted to take pictures of another windmill farm this morning but it was to foggy to seen the tops of the windmills. I gave up on pictures.

I ran about 150 miles before I saw the sun. It now is shining and the sky's are clear with some white puffy clouds. I doesn't look  at all  like rain. I continued finishing my crossing of the great state of Kansas.

While crossing the Missouri, Kansas border on I 70 the sign welcoming you to the state was on a bridge so I could not stop in traffic to take my picture with the sign. I stopped in a shopping mall parking lot for lunch. I thought I still had some lunchmeat but it was not in the cooler. I made rolls with peanut butter and Ranch Dressing sandwiches for lunch. I am now out of lunch and dinner foods. I still have cereal and  milk to go with more peanut butter and rolls. But the number of meals eaten on the road is getting fewer and fewer because I should be home day after tomorrow.

Altogether I rode through Salinas, Topeka, Kansas City Kansas. Through Independence Missouri, Columbia and St Louis Missouri. I crossed into Illinois and stopped in Troy, Il for the evening. I saw several motels I am familiar with so decided this exit would be the one the end of the day. First I got gas. As I was pumping it I saw Congress Inn just beside the gas station. The sign said $39.95 for a single. I thought cheap motel sounds good to me. I registered and went into the  room. It looks  ok to me. The building is a little rundown and the parking lot has holes in the macadam but I am not interested in that.

Went to Cracker Barrel for dinner. Had the Chicken Livers. They were excellent. Back to motel and a nice hot shower  and I feel like a new me. Will be researching distances and places for tomorrow's  ride.

Enough for now..

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Run don't walk(so to speak)today Honey. We had rain overnight with more predicted today. Might skew your scheduled arrival or you may come home all wet which you've done before,right?Whisp and I are looking forward to seeing you again. Wish I could have shared breakfast with you and the Kansas farmers-what an interesting conversation about their crops-cool!Ride safe, Love--J

    ReplyDelete