Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 28



Start mileage 96432
End mileage  96941
Daily total 509
Ride total 5966

Wow!!!! What a day this has been!

Up early this morning to the sound of Wild Turkey in the forest by the KOA campground. I kept listening thinking at first they might be tame birds but they would call periodically to one another. So instead of the roster crowing the turkey gobbles out here close to Yosemite. What kind of farm is this?

Started off doing daily stuff, then made my breakfast, grapenuts and peanut butter sandwiches. washed the few dishes and got a clean pair of jeans to put on. The current pair only lasted two days before I got grease and dirt all over them. I will have to remember to do laundry in a few days.

Broke camp and was off by 7:18 am. Today I would connect to CA 49, CA 108, US395 and then US 6 to US 50. I had decided to go around Yosemite because I thought it would be a hassle to go the entire way through it. Instead what I found by going around Yosemite was a ride of a life time.

At first just over the mountain from the KOA I was slowly coming around a curve and saw three hen turkeys. They ran when they saw me. Later down that same road there was a fawn running along side the road until she could jump into the woods. Very exciting stuff. These were the  first real animals I have seen on this trip.

On CA 49 it goes through some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen yet. Click link for some info on the road for motorcycles.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca49.html

The road will be twisty up and down mountains. It runs along rivers (out here they are not wide) between two mountainsides.
Just a couple of quick views along the way.

Lovely mountains.
I had to take a Butt Break so I shot these two scenes for you.

Notice pine trees

Just a pretty tree.

It also goes over Sonora Pass which 9624 ft high. I rode up and over it. See link for information
http://snowbrains.com/9624-foot-sonora-pass-ca-is-open-earliest-opening-in-years-tioga-pass-likely-may-11th/
But I did not ride over the pass in snow but there was snow on some of the mountains. The pass was long, about 17 miles up and down the other side. Very steep and very curvy, twisty. A motorcycle riders dream road. The views were stunning. I must add that the last gas station before hitting the pass area was out of gas. I had maybe 3/8ths a tank left so I ventured forth. I kept watching the gas gauge and after coming down the Pass I thought I ought to hit my spare gas can in the saddle bag. I know if I wouldn't have used that gas then I would have had to sometime prior to hitting the next gas station.



Prior to getting to the above pass I stopped at Stanislaus National Park for a quick couple of pictures.
Click link for more information on the park. http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/stanislaus/home

I am a sucker for a pretty tree.

What a view!

More pines and the desert background.

Had to get the bike in  a picture today.

Now I must apologize for not taking anymore pictures. I have two reasons why.
1. All these shots were taken while trying to go around Yosemite National Park. The trip around was one I will never forget. It is as or more amazing then the trip into Yosemite itself.
2. I am trying to get out of the wilderness and to a major US Interstate Highway because I have decided I am ready to get home, now.

After leaving California and entering and traveling through Nevada I was trying to make miles. I did make a good number today even after my very slow start around Yosemite. The drive through Nevada, I am still in Nevada (Ely is the town I am staying at) but soon will be in Colorado, was spectacular due entirely to the vast distances of nothingness. There were ranches, cattle, mines, oil wells, horses, irrigation running, pasture lands and lots and lots of dry dusty terrain. The road ran from one horizon to the  next and when you got there it happened all over again. Believe me I will never forget this desert ride today for many reasons. But most importantly I was safe the entire time on my wonderful machine.

A prayer now and then was said and  I know it helped get across this land.

Up tomorrow and over to Colorado and I70.

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Oh Honey--spectacular pictures!! I just alerted Fran and Owen about checking this day out in particular. yes you and I are ready for your return, but please don't forget to rest and hydrate. Ride safe!
    J

    ReplyDelete