Friday, May 3, 2013


Day 16

Start mileage 93993
End mileage 94254
Daily total mileage 261
Trip to date mileage 3279

Got up this morning in Ruidoso, NM. It was 25 degrees outside. Man am I glad I wasn't in a tent last night. I would have been warm in my sleeping bag but getting up and waiting until it was warm enough to start would have been awful. But, as luck would have it I awoke from a very restful and warm sleep at the Day's Inn. Checked weather on my phone. Thought I should wait until around 10:00 am to start so it would be warmer.

Did my daily routine preparing for the start of another adventurous day on the road. Repacked a lot of the gear I brought in last night. Tried to make coffee but the darn coffee maker would not start. I pulled the plug on it so it would not start a fire. I walked over to the breakfast counter at the office. It was a cold breakfast except for the waffle maker. I proceeded to make a complete mess all over the waffle maker and the tray underneath it. Seems I can't hold  onto a little cup full of batter prior to pouring it onto the griddle. Well I got more batter and made a waffle. Told the desk girl I made a mess and she said don't worry it happens all the time. I think she was just trying to make me feel better for being such a schlep. Anyway the waffle was good. I filled my thermos with coffee for the day. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Coffee really hits the spot when you are driving and feel like closing your eyes. Stopping and drinking several cups of coffee help make you feel so much better. Also the time off your tush and the bike is  nice.

Anyway, packed up trailer and bike. Ready for another adventure today. Started out on US 70 West again.

I was just starting out this morning when I took notice of the pine trees on one side of the road and none on the other. Of course they were on different sides of this little valley I was riding through. Here are a few scenes from the road.




While riding along in the New Mexico desert it came to me how much I missed the desert. What a thrill to be back! It is stupendous to watch mountains, scrubs, highway, Rail Roads and trains all out here in the desert. It seems so unreal.


Ran into Alamogordo NM. You might want to Google it to see what it is all about. But past Alamogordo is Holloman AFB. I passed the base and later saw a line of white from one side of the horizon to the other. I thought neat they banked up the sand to hide what they are doing out here. Much to my surprise the white banks were the edge of the White Sands of New Mexico. I stopped at the White Sands National Monument. You might want to follow this link to learn some facts about the white sands http://www.nps.gov/whsa/forkids/fun-facts.htm

See the pictures.
 There were lots of kids there on field trips.

A shot with some kids in it

 Entrance to building.
 
 

Enlarge image for a closer look

Just showing some parks in New Mexico

Ranger educating kids about the White Sands habitat.

Wow!! can be seen from outer space. It must be big.
I would suggest looking up the White Sands National Monument for lots of cool information about what it is and how it formed. Below are several pictures of the sands. I hope I don't bore you with all of these pictures. I found it really neat.
 
The white mound of  sand that goes on from horizon to horizon.

Driving through the park is really an experience.



These piles of sand are held together by the vegetation growing huge root systems and holding it all in place as the sand dune moves past it.

These ridges are made by organisms in the sand that deposit minerals and other nutrients into the sand that makes it possible for life to grow. 



The roadway around the park is unusual in the respect that the bottom layer is  hard gypsum and  some loose stuff is on top. If you don't watch out the wheels on your bike will spin out or slide sideways.


Of course I had to take a picture of the rig in the sand dunes.


Hopefully when you enlarge this picture or the ones below you can find more detail. They are just of the sand and what it looks like.


This picture didn't turn out like I had hoped since it is a little blurry but you get the idea. Many people go out on the dune and take pictures of more dunes or of themselves standing in all the white sand. 
 
 
Before leaving the White Sands National Monument I returned to the visitor's center to take off my long johns, both top and bottom that I had been wearing since starting the day. They were getting hot.

Back on the road US 70 turned into US  10/70 and I ran the highway for some distance. While running I pasted a site where all sorts of video and still cameras were setup along the roadway. I had know idea what they were for. Later I saw signs that said a mandatory Boarder Patrol check point was ahead and all had to stop. The cameras were on the other side of the road at the inspection place. When it was my turn to go up to the Border Patrol Officer he only asked if I was a citizen. I answered yes and he said have a good day. That is most curious that we secure our boarders by asking people if they are citizens or not. Now I know there is more to it than that. I bet because I was on a motorcycle and was of Caucasian decent that he let me go. I know profiling isn't supposed to be used but then who knows what protocol they are using to stop people.

After that I was rolling along and felt like a butt break and some coffee. I found a bridge with shade under it and pulled off to take a break.
I know silly me just one more picture of the bike.
 
Finally I came to a sign saying that US 70 turns off US 10 and I took the turn since I want to go into Phoenix from the east instead of following US 10 into Tucson and then traveling north to Phoenix. As soon as I got off I saw a KOA sign and said lets stop now and go with what I know to be a good place to stop. Not like yesterday when I was too silly to stop at a KOA before Roswell New Mexico.
 
Tent site today.

 
Office of the KOA
 
This bunny was right outside the office. I told him to look  at me for a picture and it seems he takes good directions.
 
While setting up my tent the wind was blowing at 14-20 mph. You would be able to win money of AFV (Americas Funniest Videos). I was real proud of myself, I didn't loose my temper once although I did say a few swear words. It was a real task to accomplish. You see the two panels of wind breaks at the tent site, well they were on the wrong side for this wind. Man at the office says it has been blowing bad for three days. I checked out the weather and the wind dies down as the sun goes down. It should also subside tomorrow but then I will be long gone by then.
 
On to Phoenix.
 
TTFN





2 comments:

  1. you'll never bore with too many photos, but you know how i am.

    jlk

    ReplyDelete
  2. JLK and I think alike. white Sands was may I say, AWESOME? Looked like pure white snow drifts, but guess that is not how it felt. And, yes Dear, she is a beautiful machine!
    Love you
    J

    ReplyDelete