Sunday, May 12, 2013


Day 24


 

Start mile 95295
End mile 95766
Daily miles 471
Total miles 4791


Started out the day early since I thought it might be a long one. Plans were for Death Valley and then continue on to Bakersfield.

Left by 7:30 am and stopped at Wal-Mart to resupply for the day. Had already gassed up yesterday. It was a beautiful day in Las Vegas. After Wal-Mart I headed toward US 15 S to US 95 to Nevada 374 which turns into CA 190. At the California boarder there were no signs of Welcome to California but there was a sign for the Death Valley National Park.

I knew I was close. Beatty Nevada

At last Death Valley

Gotta have a picture with the bike in it.
 
I took several shots on the way to the park that give you an idea of the scenery one experiences.

 
 
The road goes on forever
 
Signs of previous mining.


There is a place to pay for entrance to the park. For Motorcycles it is $10.00 but I have a senior life pass to all national parks but was confused as to, should I or shouldn’t I pay my way. I thought what the heck, I have always wanted to see Death Valley myself since watching Saturday morning shows with the 20 Mule Team Borax commercials. I paid and got a receipt stating I was at the Death Valley National Park. It was well worth the $10.00 for the souvenir.

In the Park before arriving at Death Valley

What a view!
 I wondered how the valley got so low? Well I don't know but the way you get to Death Valley is  to drive down a 13 mile mountain from 5000 feet or so down to the below sea level the Valley is famous for.
The Valley stretches for as far as the eye can see.
 Death Valley is no little place. You might follow this link for interesting facts about the place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley

View in different direction.



 Another link for interesting information about Death Valley.

It turns out my choice of going to Scottie’s Castle was not entirely wise. It seems I should have gone to StovePipe instead since that was the direction I wanted to take to go through the park and get further west to the ocean. Well I saw some beautiful country on my 35 mile trip to Scottie’s Castle. They had no gas. The temperature in Death Valley varied but the hottest today was 104 degrees.  After finding the error of my ways I chatted with several motorcycle riders to confirm which way I needed to go. So off I ventured back through the same beautiful scenery I saw just a few moments ago. Did I mention it was 35 miles of beautiful scenery?

Back at the turn for StovePipe I found CA 190 signs and followed them across the valley. That was another hour of riding. I eventually caught up with the guys who verified the route I needed to take. I followed them until StovePipe because they stopped for gas. I didn’t because I have a big tank and had plenty of gas. I drove on for about an hour until I finally came out of the Death Valley National Park. I stopped at the first gas station I saw. I pulled up to the pumps. They did not have credit card readers at the ancient pumps. Sign said to go inside before pumping. The guy there said he would hold my card and turn on the pumps. I gave him my card and went to pump gas. High Test was $6.49 a gallon. I thought WOW this is expensive gas. I am in California, this is  the only gas station in this little village, the guy gets what he can. Ice was $5.00 for a 10 lb. bag. I spent $34.00 at this place for three or four gallons of gas and a bag of ice. I hope this guy can sleep at night. Anyway on I traveled.

I was then looking for CA 374 to take me to US 395 and then to CA 178. I found CA 374 and found US 395. I followed US 395 and it joined CA 14. CA 14 eventually went to the right and to L.A. and US 395 went to the left. I was looking for CA 178. After thinking CA 178 isn’t coming up I stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. The lady said I had to travel 35 miles back to Inyokern. So I thought to look at my gas tank level and decided it wise to get more gas. The darn pump was pretty finicky. It would only pump gas slowly, if you pulled to far on the lever it stopped working. After 3 gallons it stopped working altogether. I gave up and paid for the gas. BTW, I purchased a California map since I did not get one at the border as is my custom. So now I know I can find proper routing on California highways. Back to Inyokern.  I found CA 14 which took me to CA 178.

My wife called me asking what was up since it was getting late on the East Coast and she was worried. I told her a little of my days story and said I would call her again when I was at the campground and had a beer in my hand. I was having some trouble with losing my voice today.

 I followed that for 60 miles to the KOA at Lake Isabella.

 
 
 I was feeling guilty about not taking more pictures of the beauty I was seeing so when I had to take a Butt Break I snapped a few pictures.

 

Found the KOA short of Lake Isabella. I was coming around a turn and there it was. I slammed on the brakes and pulled in. I was very happy to have arrived so I could stop for the day. Called the wife as promised. Setup camp, started supper, then ate. Boy was I feeling like a new person after some veggies and pork sirloin. Several beers helped to hydrate me as well.

When I tried to do the blog I could not access the wireless internet here at the campgrounds. I am sitting here typing this in MS Word and will transfer to the blog with the owner comes by to figure out what the issue is. My neighbors are unable to access the internet also.
It is a very nice evening, about 75 degrees. Tonight at South Lake it is get down to 64. It will be very pleasant. Tomorrow will get to 95 but then I should be gone from here by then. Don’t know as yet the exact route since I need to access internet for that. I probably could do that on my phone if I had to. Also I could use the GPA devise I got but then you don’t know the route ahead of time, she just tells you where to go like a good women. I could get in a lot of trouble with that line. Oh well!

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Honey, I hope anyone reading your blog is aware that a double click on one of the pictures and single click on each one on the strip enlarges the scene. Marvelous shots..couple of these I'd like to print and frame. Sounds as if your day was very long and a little frustrating and I am ignoring the "line" about your GPS woman. She means well and I for one appreciate her effort. Somebody's got to have your back...love you! Judy

    ReplyDelete