Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 20

Start mileage 94889
End mileage  94976
Daily total mileage  86
Trip to date mileage 4001

Up early this morning. Starting to think about hitting the road again and moving on to Las Vegas and Nellis AFB where my son lives. All that thinking made me hungry so I made some Eggie in the Basket for breakfast. Click this link for recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/v-for-vendettas-eggy-in-a-basket-162532 . They were especially good today.

Had made an appointment for today at 10:00 am at Coyote Honda about 2.5 miles away from here to get an oil change. Arrived to the appointment a little early but they took me right in. Requested good synthetic oil be used. The oil change took a while due to them just running out of my oil filter. We waited maybe 20 minutes for FedEx to deliver the oil filters. Then the bike was complete and brought out for pick up. Dave the service manager was very helpful and gave me some pointers on places to stop and see and places to eat out on the California Coast. My friend introduced me to Chris Price the GM of  the facility. All  were very friendly and helpful. In fact Dave took this picture of us outside the dealership for posterity.
 
From here we visited a barber out in the Arrow Head Mall area. I got my normal #1 blade buzz. The barber did a good job and had me on my way quickly. I smelled good too.
 
Since we were in the area I had to have a picture of the Glendale Stadium where the Cardinals play football.
 


Next up came a visit to GWRRA Home Office in Dear Valley. The Goldwing club was started here by friends in 1977 in Phoenx, AZ. Here are some pictures from my visit.
Office Staff who showed us around.

Pins from different years and places from the club.

These people all have signed up at least 100 new members.

Map with different Chapter Pins to show where they came from.

Club memorabilia.

Club plaques and awards.

Other side of wall.

Founders of the club.





Office Supervisor.

Some old fart who is at GWRRA Home Office.

The visit was interesting and after the above picture my camera died. The batteries were dead.  So you get a break from more pictures.

We were interested in lunch since it was getting late. Headed to Genghis Grill - Mongolian Stir Fry at 4722 E. Cactus Road, Phoenix, AZ. You may want to follow this link to  learn more about it.
http://www.genghisgrill.com/
This was my first time to a place where you collect all the raw food in a bowl and add seasonings, veggies and sauces. You give the bowl to the cook and he grills the food on a huge round flat cast iron surface. You may watch to see how your food is prepared. Being a person who loves to cook I was exceedingly interested is how they did their cooking. I bet I could do some things like this with the WOK I have at home. BTW, the food was very tasty and if you didn't get enough you only had yourself to blame. I called  the wife and told her we have to find someplace like this back in Pennsylvania.

Next stop was the Helmet Center
http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/
I wanted to see if there might be a half helmet since their inventory is so large. After trying on 10 or so helmets I actually came away with a nice one for warm weather riding. Also since I am out here in the west and it is getting hot I bought a cool vest. You dampen the vest in water, wring out most water and the wear it under your protecting riding gear. It cools you just like a swamp cooler does out her in the desert, by evaporation.

So now I am safe with the new helmet, cool from the new vest, mechanically good due to the oil change and not hungry due to the Stir fry. Life is good.

Now I am back to the house I am staying and starting to repack the trailer for the next leg of my journey. Darn trailer shrank, I think. I will find out tomorrow if I can get everything back in.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment