Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 18


Start mileage 94522
End mileage  94643
Daily total mileage  121
Trip to date mileage 3668

Slept late this morning. I laid down last night and was out like a turned off light bulb in no time.

Since my friend is a single guy living alone he had no eggs so I couldn't make omelets for us today so I had cereal. Then started laundry. I have about three different batches to do.

Off to South Mountain Park and a ride up to the look out almost on the top. The ride up is about six miles and is very steep and a technical ride. While following my friend up I kept looking at the view and wished I had mentioned to him about stopping to take pictures. The views were just stunning. I also remember when my family lived out here that I would ride my bicycle from Glendale and ride right up to the lookout. At several times riding out here I was in very good shape and had little difficulty riding up this long steep road. On the other hand I remember at least three other times I just plane pooped out try to climb the hill without getting off to  rest. What a humiliating experience when your buddy's keep on going without you. All but one that is. He would stop and wait from me and he did this many times during the years we rode together. I plan on seeing him later today.

Well some pictures of the South Mountain are here

At the top there were already people there. These scooter people were having a ball.


I tried to take a pan-o-rama set of pictures. One day I might figure out how to knit them all together for an enlargement.




So when we are ready to go down the hill I said let me lead so I can stop to take pictures. Well on the way down the scenery is not as wonderful as on the  way up. Go figure. No pictures on way down.

Next up is lunch. So we drove East across the valley to Honey Bears restaurant. Seems they have three locations and smoke all their product at the one we went to. The looks of the place was nothing to write home about and the wait person had the personality of a rock, but the BBQ sandwich I had was wonderful. It is at 5012 E Van  Buren, Phoenix.



Please don't bring your guns inside.
This is common in Arizona since you may carry a weapon if you want.
Back to friends house and returned a call from old riding buddy from years past. Made arrangements to ride over to see him. We had a great visit discussing the last twenty years since we rode together.
 
 
I first met this riding buddy at a training session for the MS Ride out here in Phoenix. We trained for 10 weeks and did about 1200 miles of training total. The rides were after thoughts because we all were in such good shape. If fact that is when we would ride up South Mountain without any trouble. My friend would always wait for me and inspire me to keep going. I was still smoking three packs a day then. I have since quit after a nose job 22 years ago. The best thing about quitting was going on a ride with two of my buddy's and beating them back from Wickenburg.
 
Ran by the old house on Frier Drive in Gendale.
 
It used to be white and had a wall around the front patio. It could use a paint job now. Kind of feel home sick when looking at picture. It was a great place to live.
 
 
Returned to friends I am staying with to see him cleaning his bike. My bike was filthy and I had not taken the time to change that. The friend says, hey back that bike out and I will start on it for you. Well I am not going to pass up a chance like that. We managed to get the bike looking pretty spiffy and I am sure it is feeling better to get ride of all the bug guts and dust.
 
While making  dinner a young lady came over to get assistance standing her bike on its center stand so she could clean the chain drive.
 

Clean chain and all a happy camper (rider).

Back to dinner for us. Sautéed spiral cut ham slices with a few new potatoes in a cream and ham sauce. A nice romaine salad to round out the meal. Oh! and a few glasses of wine.

The world is a happy place!

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment