Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 27


Start mileage 96261
End mileage  96432
Daily total 171
Ride total 5457

I just looked and I did mention that it was windy last night when I setup my tent. Well it was windy all night and I kept thinking the tent would blow away. It didn't but the wind tried real hard to turn over the tent many times. Of course with all the wind howling outside I didn't sleep very well. I did sleep but if fits and starts.

I woke up and thought I just had to get up to check the damage. it was 5:30 am. I got up, dressed threw my shoes and stuff out of the tent and escaped the constantly moving  tent. It was chilly as well as windy. The winds were in the neighborhood of gusts to 25 miles an hour. I thought, a wise person would break camp and get out of this windy place. Well a wise man would have kept better track of his clean clothes. I was out of T-shirts and socks. So laundry would be the first thing after daily routine. I did start laundry and then return to camp site to continue packing for a quick escape once the laundry was dry. Taking down a tent in gusty winds is almost as hard as putting it up. But with much perseverance I managed to get the tent down while keeping track of my sanity. The pack job was not the best but eventually the clothes were dry and everything packed. I hooked up the rig and moved on down the service road to a restaurant for breakfast.

I had oatmeal with all the fixings. I haven't had oatmeal for some time but did eat some at my son's house on Nellis. I may be setting an example for myself to eat more oatmeal. I need to return to good eating habits for health reasons.

Anyway, back onto CA 152 to CA 140 which after some 130 miles brought me to the KOA I was going to stay at. I arrived around Noontime and  got a site. Ate lunch, took trailer off bike and rode to Yosemite. The ride was some 23 miles to the edge of the National Park and the visitor center was some 13 miles inside the park. I have many pictures to show you today. The one thing many of us do not realize is how huge these National Parks are. It takes hours to drive across them.

Just to give and idea of the landscape driving through this morning before getting to Yosemite.

First scenic as you are getting close to the park.

The Merced River flows from Yosemite.




Pretty common site in the Yosemite valley.


To show we finally made it.

View of one of the hotels in the valley.
 

More water, Merced River

First thing you do after entering park is drive through this stone.

What a rock!



More water. My wife is nuts over water scenes.

More rocks

More water.


There is a water fall back there somewhere.

This water fall we have seen many times before.

Telephoto shot of the same scene.






Which is taller, the trees or the rock?


This water fall  I believe was shot by Ansel Adams.



Half Dome



I thought this was a great shot! Hope you do too.

Visitor Information Center.

I like this best of all.
Notice that it is very misty. It looked like rain up there and heard thunder from time to time.
 


Out of the park and back to the KOA Campground.

Camp for tonight.

Doesn't really look like a tent site but sleeping on  crushed stone will not be bad since I have a cot to sleep on. 

 
Well tomorrow officially starts the return trip home. I am looking forward to getting there. It will take up to six or seven days of hard riding to get across the county. I am looking at taking Nevada 6 across Nevada and then in Utah hooking up with 50 and then I 70 for the run home. May take a few days just to get to I 70. I plan on doing motels instead of camping so I can spend more time on the highway.

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. great photos. thanks for sharing.

    jlk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to make that ride to Yellowstone one of these days. . .

    ReplyDelete