Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 14


Start mileage 93282
End mileage  93682
Daily mileage 346
Total mileage 2653

Woke up early in  San Antonio on a nice warm dry but a little foggy day. It is getting quicker to break camp after having some practice but I still just have enough room in the trailer and now I have to put one or two things into the saddlebag. I must be mindful of space limitations.

It rained in San Antonio Monday night and the mosquitos were a problem last evening and again this morning. I hope it is dryer out in the desert. But then there are the fly's.

Took off on US 10 West again. The traffic was slow getting through and around San Antonio. But after a while I am back on the open highway again. And I mean open highway. I crested a hill and looked ahead and saw nothing but rolling highway as far as I could see. One other thing of interest, once you get away from the cities the speed limit goes up to 80 mph. You can really make time at that speed or a little faster.

As I was running down the highway it felt as if I was getting glassy eyed and was not as alert as I ought to be. I saw a sign for a rest stop just ahead. I pulled in and parked the rig. I found a nice pavilion without anyone using it. It was in the shade and there was a nice breeze. I pulled my wool seat cover off the bike and placed it in front of the wall at the pavilion. I sat down with my jacket, gloves and ear plugs on. It was quiet, shady and breeze, just right for a cat nap. I was only there about 20 minutes but that made all the difference. I got back on the bike refreshed and read to do some more miles.

Running along at 86  mph creates a problem since the gas mileage is not very good. So I stopped in an area called "Ozona" for gas. I noticed there were five or six bikes getting gas or sitting in the shade in the next parking lot. I got a fill up and some ice. I pulled into the shade and asked where they were from? They were all Texans out for a ride. When I told them I was from Pennsylvania and headed to the Pacific Coast Highway several said OH! I want to do that some day. I then told them it was my retirement celebration doing this ride. Several riders shook my hand and congratulated me on retirement. I made my lunch and ate and chatted some. Then I asked if it was ok to take a few pictures. Of course it was ok, Texans are really nice people.

One of the bikes.

One of the bikers.
 

Silly me, while riding along I noticed lots of partially erected electrical towers running as far as the eye can see. But I never stopped to take a picture cause I didn't think of it until I was past them all. I did however start thinking about taking pictures to show you.

I marveled at the highway here. If a hill gets in the road of the road, well just cut it down.

I believe Texas has the most windmills in production in the country. There were all over the hills in West Texas.

Just another view of windmills.
 
While riding along I passed an older Goldwing. I am not sure of the year but it looked something like this.
 
He was motoring along at about 70 and kept it at that pace.
 
I finally got to Ft Stockton, TX. I got off the interstate and drove down the middle of town until I found a Lowes, a local grocery store. Purchased some chicken thighs for supper and some veggies for supper tonight. I was looking for a seasoning to put on my entrée, I had started to get a hankerin for something beside just salt and pepper. I looked at McIhenny pepper sauce but it was just too expensive, especially since I still have two samples left. I did find some Catalina dressing and thought that might make the chicken special tonight. I stopped at the Visitors center to see what this Ft Stockton is all about. Turns out, out here in the middle of nowhere there was an artesian well close by. All the Indians going south or coming back north stopped here for water. The government then decided to protect the well but as time went by the well ran dry since settlers were drilling wells and draining the aquifer of it precious water. The rulings on water rights came about from this issue.
 
Ft Stockton Visitor Center

They make use of Windmills and solar panels here.

I water feature to represent the original Comanche Springs found here. 

You probably can not read this plaque but you might want to look up the Comanche Springs in Google. It is a very interesting area and the history is intriguing

Same way look up The Great Comanche War Trail.

Comanche Indians in silhouette.

Just a church I found here that looked interesting.
 
I was advised at the store to go to the KOA five miles back, I had pasted it on my way into town but had looked it up last evening and it is not a KOA any longer. Reviews were not so hot either but I thought what the heck, travel back and check it out. Turns out it is a Good Sam member now. Still an RV park. Went into the office and the nicest ladies were there to sign me up. It turns out the tenting site is in the yard in front of the office. It is in the shade all the time and I have water and electric. And the office is right here so Wi-Fi and restrooms are really close by. As I am connected and blogging while others in the RV park are not able to get connected. Sucks to be them!
 
That is me at the end of my ride in the 95 degree temps. Believe you me it did not take long until I put on my shorts and sandals.



The perfect campsite.

Office.
Well enough for today. I am looking forward to a nice hot shower and some good grub after my day on the road.
 
BTW, bike is running like a top. It is like the Timex watch just keeps on going and going and going. Thank you Honda!
 
TTFN



3 comments:

  1. love the blog. goes real well with my coffee every morning. i almost feel i'm along for the ride.
    jlk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe, aren't those metal Indian silouettes wonderful! That last pic of you looked like you were ready for a float in a swimming pool--Whew, 95? It is a breezy 70 something this afternoon and beautiful. Hope you are looking ahead about the weather and news events. there are fires in CA, lots of smoke and ash in the air--check it out. You and John take it easy out there....
    Love you
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you have sun screen. Love you

    ReplyDelete